While many consider vaping, or using e-cigarettes, to be safer than smoking it is not at all a safe alternative. In fact, sometimes a person can get more nicotine from an e-cig than they would a traditional cigarette. Bottom line: Vaping is EXTREMELY addictive and dangerous.
Because e-cigarettes are to be a nicotine replacement tool, they do contain nicotine along with a whole host of other chemicals; and because this is a fairly new trend, we don’t know the long term health effects of using an electronic cigarette.
What we do know is this:
- In 2011, more high schoolers reported using an e-cigarette than traditional cigarettes for the first time ever
- The number of teens using electronic cigarettes continue to rise
- 1 in 5 high school students used a electronic cigarette or vaping device in the last 30 days
- 8th Graders who use e-cigarettes are 10x as likely to smoke traditional cigarettes later in life than their peers who abstain
- Multiple death in 2019 have been attributed to using an electronic cigarette/vape apparatus
The flavoring of the liquid in e-cigarettes makes it more appealing to younger generations, along with the idea that they are “safe”. Some refillable cartridges can contain THC and give the smoker a marijuana-like high.
Talk with your middle and high school kids about the dangers of smoking traditional cigarettes and electronic cigarettes. There is no safe alternative and smoking anything is dangerous.
This blog was… how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped me.