Silent but Deadly: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide poisoning kills 400 Americans every year and send more than 20,000 people to the hospital every year. The gas is odorless, so it makes it difficult to know if you have a leak if proper precautions are not taken.

Carbon Monoxide poisoning takes place when a fuel burning engine, like a car or furnace, emits a gas known as Carbon Monoxide. If the CO (Carbon Monoxide) is not vented properly, it builds up in the space, creating a toxic air space. Young children, elderly individuals and those with breathing or heart conditions are especially vulnerable.

The symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning often feel like the flu. Things like headache, dizziness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion are all signs of CO poisoning. If you notice these symptoms and think it may be CO poisoning get to fresh air immediately, get everyone out of the house/building and call 911.

There are several steps you can take to help prevent a build up of carbon monoxide and alert you to any possible exposure. First, never leave your car running in a closed garage. If you want to warm your car up in your garage in the morning, always open the big garage door to allow the fumes to escape the room. If you have a gas stove or oven, only use it as directed and NEVER use it for heating purposes. Any sort of heater should be properly ventilated, even fireplaces. It is best to have all heating/cooling systems inspected and maintained yearly.

Finally, you can install a CO detector. Similar to a smoke detector, this simple battery operated detector will make a sound if it find CO in the air. These are available at a variety of retailers for about $10. Make sure and replace these batteries like you do your smoke detectors.

Hopefully this is something you and your family never have to worry about and never experience. Proper precautions can help make sure that that is the case, just a few extra seconds here and there and you can do your best to make sure your family breaths the right air.


Leave a comment

Protect yourself against COVID-19 (coronavirus)

Protect yourself against COVID-19 (coronavirus) by covering your nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If you develop a fever and symptoms of respiratory illness, such as a cough or difficulty breathing, call your primary care provider.

To protect Patients and Staff we are asking:

  • All patients call before walking into the health center
  • Patients 60 years and older accept a telephone visit rather than walking into the health center for an appointment
  • Do NOT bring anyone with you to your appointment unless medically necessary

 

Do NOT come to the health center within your 14 day isolation/quarantine period